22 February 2013

Jelly Sandwiches are so delicious

So you've been lusting after a stream of hard to find indie glitter polishes? The reality of being a nail polish collector is that you cant always have every polish (I know!). As much as you try some brands are just really difficult or very expensive to get to Australia. Nail mail buddies are great, but for those of us who need instant gratification why not try creating your own unique polish or duplicating a hard to find polish by making a jelly sandwich.


So what is a jelly sandwich? Its much like a normal sandwich, layers of stuff put together to make one delicious treat. Traditionally a jelly sandwich consists of 1 or 2 layers of a sheer polish, then a layer of glitter, plus another layer of the sheer polish. However I find the best way to create the sandwich is to start off with one coat of an opaque creme polish. This takes away the nasty VNL and speeds up the drying time.


Layer your favourite glitter over your base colour and give it a good chance to dry so that it doesn't move in the next step.  Choose a sheer version of the colour you used on the bottom. You can tell if a polish is sheer 2 ways. If you have to do more than 3 coats to get opacity you've got yourself a sheer. Also if you can see the polish brush easily through the polish, then its a good chance its a sheer. Apply one coat of the sheer polish over the top of the glitter. Let it dry then apply your top coat. Voila, jelly sandwich.


The polishes that I used: Bottom layer is OPI Skull and Glossbones, Glitter is Chi Chi Gliterazi and the sheer layer is OPI My Pointe Exactly.

I love how this turned out. If I would have used white on the bottom I reckon I could have gotten very close to recreating China Glaze Its a trapeze. So if you are lusting for some hard to find indie polishes, or perhaps you are on a no buy and looking to create something new to trick yourself into thinking you have new polish, then jelly sandwich it up! Mmmm tasty.

2 comments:

  1. This is so pretty! I've never seen that glitter before and I love it. I did my own version of an indie (Where My Peeps At?) the other day. It wasn't exactly like it but it was still cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I just had this idea the other day! Oh well, smart minds think alike I guess.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...